Friday 4th August 2023
Today is a middle distance event
For the last day of Moray 2023 we bring you a middle distance event in the delights of Culbin.
For the last day of Moray 2023 we bring you a middle distance in the delights of Culbin. It is expected that most courses will finish in the arena; shorter technical courses will make the most of the excellent terrain and in order to avoid dead running at the end will finish about 1km from the arena.
Culbin was planted between the wars to stabilise shifting sand dunes; the resulting open pine forest on complex topography is perfect for orienteering. The forest is mainly runnable with good visibility though some pockets of gorse and deeper heather do exist.
ALL campervans, motorhomes and any low-slung vehicle will NOT be able to park at the arena and will be required to park nearby and walk approximately Due to the narrow lanes, we will provide a minibus shuttle to a drop-off point about 1.5km walk along a quiet road and grass track from the arena. It is possible to bike instead (3km total).
- Organising clubs
- Mar Orienteering Club (MAROC) supported by Badenoch and Strathspey Orienteering Club (BASOC) and Tayside Orienteers (TAY)
- Fran Getliff (MAROC) & Maire Covery (TAY)
- Ali Robertson (MAROC) & Alistair Duguid (TAY)
- Brian Bullen (FVO) & Chris Low (MAROC)
- Complex contours in forested dune.
- Field at Snab of Moy, Kintessack, IV36 2TG – this parking is not suitable for any campervans despite their size – it is the weight which means that they will not be permitted to park at Snab of Moy. Alternative parking for campervans is provided and will involve a short mini bus journey.
- Traffic Directions
- For Cars: Follow the A96 west out of Forres. After 0.8 miles and having passed over the bridge over the River Findhorn turn right onto an unclassified road (Broom of Moy / Kintessack) following the road to the left once over the railway bridge. Follow the unclassified road for 0.4 miles and turn right (Dyke / Kintessack). Follow this unclassified road for 1.1 miles until Mudhall Farm then turn right onto Waterford Road (Kintessack / Broom of Moy). After 0.7 miles turn sharp left onto an unclassified road (Cloddymoss / Nairn). After 0.5 miles turn right (Snab of Moy Farm) and follow the road through the farm to the parking.
For Campervans: After 0.8 miles and having passed over the bridge over the Findhorn turn right onto an unclassified road (Broom of Moy / Kintessack). Once over the railway bridge turn right onto the road signed for Broom of Moy / Culbin. After 1.8 miles, having driven past signs for Broom of Moy, Earnhill Farm is located on your right.
- Dogs are permitted in the parking areas and arena provided they are under control, on a lead and cleared up after.
- BOF Registration Number: 81098
Estimated Course Lengths
|Course||Class||Length (km)||Climb (m)||Start|
|2||M10A M12B W10A W12B||1.9||30||White|
|6||M85 W70S W80||2.5||35||White|
|7||M75S M80 W65S W75L||2.8||30||White|
|18||M70S W55S W60S W70L||3.1||40||Green|
|20||M75L W45S W65L||3.3||45||Green|
|22||W18S W20S W35S||3.5||50||Green|
|25||M18S W16A W21S||3.7||60||Blue|
|29||M20S M35S W45L||4.2||70||Blue|
|31||M21S W18L W20L W35L||4.3||80||Blue|
|39||M20L M21L M35L||4.7||105||Red|