Monday 31st July 2023
Today is a middle distance event and a World Ranking Event for M/W21E
Darnaway West was last used for a major event in 2015 when it hosted the WOC relay and day 4 of Highland 2015.
The area will be a delight to compete on – it is varied with many broadleaf areas (mainly beech) and a varying density of conifers (some regrowth which is thick and some well spaced pine). Underfoot varies as well from reasonably clean forest floor through to short grass, long grass and then heather and bilberry.
There is excellent contour detail – a myriad of knolls and depressions – with some paths, tracks and roads crossing the area.
Photo © valenta (cc-by-sa/2.0)
Day 2 is a middle distance event which brings you to an area last used for Highland 2015 and the WOC Relay. With kind permission of The Earl of Moray and Darnaway Estates we are avoiding the Capercaillie restrictions and heading to the north western portion of Darnaway Forest.
Darnaway West is an area of runnable beech and open woodland, full of contour features and with an extensive path network and clay pigeon and archery ranges (not in use on our day!)
A selection of images from the race area…
During the event the daily news will provide the latest information for each day.
Thanks to the landowners who have made today’s event possible…
|Moray Estates, Berryley|
- Organising clubs:
- Forth Valley Orienteers (FVO) supported by Loch Eck Orienteers (ECKO)
- Jonathan Molloy (FVO) & Rona Molloy (FVO)
- Fraser Purves (FVO) & Finlo Cottier (ECKO)
- Lynne Walker (BASOC) & Ross Lilley (ECKO)
- Trailmaps (Steve Smirthwaite)
- Follow the A96 west towards Nairn out of Forres. After 2.4 miles turn left onto an unclassified road (Whitemire / Conicavel). After 0.8 miles turn right onto an unclassified road (Whitemire / Conicavel). After 1 mile at junction continue into parking field as directed.
- Field adjacent to Darnaway Forest/ C10E/C11E unclassified roads to Conicavel
- Adjacent to parking.
- Red and Blue starts are co-located 700m from the arena.
Green and White starts are co-located 400m from the arena.
- Runnable beech and open woodland
- The finish for all courses is in the arena.
- Dogs are permitted in the parking areas and arena provided they are under control, on a lead and cleared up after.
- BOF Registration Number: 81095
Estimated Course Lengths
|Course||Class||Length (km)||Climb (m)||Start|
|2||M10A M12B W10A W12B||1.4||35||White|
|6||M85 W70S W80||2.4||50||White|
|7||M75S M80 W65S W75L||2.7||55||White|
|18||M70S W55S W60S W70L||3.0||60||Green|
|20||M75L W45S W65L||3.2||65||Green|
|22||W18S W20S W35S||3.4||70||Green|
|25||M18S W16A W21S||3.6||75||Blue|
|29||M20S M35S W45L||4.0||85||Blue|
|31||M21S W18L W20L W35L||4.2||90||Blue|
|39||M20L M21L M35L||4.6||95||Red|